Apple released iOS 16.5 to the general public on Thursday, almost two months after the tech giant released iOS 16.4. The latest iOS update provides some important bug fixes and security patches, and brings a few new features to Apple News and some wallpapers.
To download the latest iPhone update, go to Settings > General > Software Update and follow the onscreen prompts.
Below, you’ll find the new iPhone features you get with iOS 16.5. You can also check out what features you may have missed with iOS 16.4.
Pride Celebration wallpapers
Apple added two new preloaded Pride Celebration wallpapers to a new Pride wallpaper section. That section is “designed with the colors of the Pride flag to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community,” its description reads.
You can access the new section by tapping Settings > Wallpaper > +Add New Wallpaper.
Apple News gets some sports upgrades
The Apple News app launched in 2015, and iOS 16.5 brings a Sports tab to the app for the first time. The tab can be found in the toolbar across the bottom of your screen when you open the app. Before, the toolbar displayed tabs for Today, News Plus, Audio, Following and Search. The update gets rid of the Search tab to make room for the Sports tab.
With iOS 16.5, the My Sports scores and schedule cards in Apple News also get an update. Now when you tap the three dots (…) in the bottom right corner of one of these cards, you’ll see an option for Go to Game. Tapping this option will bring up more details about that game.
Here are the release notes for iOS 16.5.
This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
• A new Pride Celebration wallpaper for the Lock Screen to honor the LGBTQ+ community and culture.
• Sports tab in Apple News gives easy access to stories, scores, standings, and more, for the teams and leagues you follow.
• My Sports score and schedule cards in Apple News take you directly to game pages where you can find additional details about specific games.
• Fixes an issue where Spotlight may become unresponsive.
• Addresses an issue where Podcasts in CarPlay may not load content.
• Fixes an issue where Screen Time settings may reset or not sync across all devices.
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
For more, check out why you should download iOS 16.5 now and what you may have missed with iOS 16.4. And if you want to try new iOS features before others, here’s how to become an Apple beta tester.
Watch this: iOS 16: Powerful Features You May Have Missed