Alongside the juried Webby Awards, which are selected by members of the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS), the winners of the People’s Voice Awards are determined by a public vote. Five NASA projects received the honor of winning People’s Voice awards:
- NASA’s Eyes on Asteroids – Visualization of the asteroids in our solar system. NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory (People’s Voice Winner, Websites and Mobile Sites, Best Data Visualization)
- NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope Unfolds the Universe – Keeping the world up to date on how the telescope was launched and deployed. NASA/James Webb Space Telescope (People’s Voice Winner, Social, Social Campaigns, Education and Discovery)
- NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory Website – The online gateway to one of NASA’s leading centers for Earth science and the robotic exploration of the universe. NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Caltech (People’s Voice Winner, Websites and Mobile Sites, Science)
- NASA Social Media – With millions of followers, NASA’s flagship social media accounts provide the agency with a collective audience that spans platforms and diverse groups of people. NASA (People’s Voice Winner, Social, Best Overall Social Presence – Brand)
- NASA Webb Telescope Launch Through First Images Live Stream Series – A 10-video playlist of major milestone events for the telescope. NASA (People’s Voice Winner, Social, Events and Live Streaming)
Overall, NASA projects were nominated for nine Webby awards this year. The agency’s other nominees included:
- 29 Days on the Edge – We launched the James Webb Space Telescope. Then we had to unfold it as it embarked on a million-mile journey. NASA (Nominee, Video, Technology)
- NASA Artemis I Social Campaign – Taking a few million friends along for the ride. NASA (Nominee, Social, Education and Discovery)
- NASA’s “On a Mission” – Stories about NASA missions, told through the lives of those who make space exploration possible. NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Nominee, Podcasts, Science and Education)
Two other NASA properties were chosen as honorees. Webby honorees are selected as one of the best on the internet as part of the Webby judging process. The agency’s honorees are:
- NASA’s Exoplanet Exploration Program – Honored for its approach to building accessibility above and beyond compliance standards. NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Honoree, Websites and Mobile Sites, Accessible Technology)
- NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope Unfolds the Universe – The James Webb Space Telescope’s social media program was honored for content that educates and promotes knowledge sharing. NASA/James Webb Space Telescope (Honoree, Social, General Social, Education and Discovery)
About the Webbys
The Webbys are an annual awards competition hosted and presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). According to its website, this year’s Webby Awards received nearly 14,000 entries from all 50 states and 70 countries worldwide.
Winners in each category will be honored in an awards ceremony held in New York on May 15, 2023.
See the full list of past NASA Webby Award winners and nominees here.